Date: 4/9/17 7:47 pm
From: Matt Kalwasinski <in-bird-l...>
Subject: [IN-BIRD-L] 3 Lake County sites - 4/9/17
Thisafternoon, I helped Kim Ehn with her Indiana Young Birders trip to the HighlandRookery/Cline Avenue Marsh. Unfortunately, I discovered that the Great HornedOwl nest that contained two owlets no longer existed. With the high windsrecently, it must have blown down. A friend of mine had them last Sunday, so ithappened sometime this week. Then, after dinner, I checked the Calumet TernSite and the Seidner Dune and Swale; both along the Grand Calumet River.Despite the windy conditions, I found some nice birds including 39 CaspianTerns,  2 Vesper Sparrows, and a singleNorthern Rough-Winged Swallow. Below are my complete lists.

MattKalwasinski

Highland Rookery (Cline Ave. Marsh),Lake, Indiana, US

Apr 9, 20171:49 PM - 3:49 PM

Comments:   Young birders trip

CanadaGoose  8

Gadwall 3

Mallard 5

Blue-wingedTeal  4

NorthernShoveler  8

Green-wingedTeal  3

Ring-neckedDuck  12

Bufflehead 1

HoodedMerganser  3

Pied-billedGrebe  4

Double-crestedCormorant  3

Great BlueHeron  9

GreatEgret  2

TurkeyVulture  4

Cooper'sHawk  1

Red-tailedHawk  1

AmericanCoot  32

Killdeer 1    Heard only

Ring-billedGull  14

CaspianTern  2

MourningDove  2

Great HornedOwl  0  -  The nest no longer exists; probably blew down in thewind

Red-belliedWoodpecker  1

DownyWoodpecker  1

NorthernFlicker  2

BlueJay  1

TreeSwallow  55

AmericanRobin  6

EuropeanStarling  22

FieldSparrow  1

SavannahSparrow  1

SongSparrow  2

NorthernCardinal  1

Red-wingedBlackbird  13

CommonGrackle  7

HouseSparrow  2

Calumet Tern Site (IDNR) (view fromSeidner Dune and Swale), Lake, Indiana, US

Apr 9, 20175:30 PM - 5:56 PM

CanadaGoose  8

Red-breastedMerganser  7

Double-crestedCormorant  4

GreatEgret  1

Ring-billedGull  5

CaspianTern  39

SongSparrow  1

Seidner Dune and Swale (SHLT), Lake, Indiana,US

Apr 9, 20175:56 PM - 6:47 PM

CanadaGoose  1    On a nest

MuteSwan  7

Mallard 2