Date: 4/9/17 5:19 pm
From: Scott Byrd via va-bird <va-bird...>
Subject: [Va-bird] FOY/FOS Grasshopper Sparrow
I walked out on my deck at a little past 8 o'clock and heard the distinctive insect-like trill of a FOY/FOS grasshopper sparrow in the field behind my house. The field is a breading home to this species, so I have seen and heard them many times, but not this early in the year that I can recall. I also got an added bonus. While listening to the sparrow's call, I got an unexpected treat of a Barred Owl calling. Not bad considering I only went outside to let the dogs get a little exercise. Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good.

Scott Byrd
King George, VA