Date: 4/9/17 5:03 pm
From: Jerry McWilliams <0000001b5c226889-dmarc-request...>
Subject: Erie County, Presque Isle Hawk Watch for April 9, 2017

Unknown Falcon 2 2 2
Unknown Eagle 0 0 0
Unknown Raptor 0 0 0

Total: 1097 8036 13186

Observation start time: 07:00:00
Observation end time: 16:30:00
Total observation time: 9.5 hours

Official Counter: Jerry McWilliams

Observers: Jerry McWilliams, Jerry Stanley, Ken Felix, Roger Donn

Visitors:
Thanks to my help with spotting, counting, and identifying birds from Roger
Donn, Ken Felix, Jerry Stanley, and to visiting watchers Joao Taveres, Sam
Stull, and my wife Linda.

Weather:
Mostly clear all day with cirrus clouds and contrails and a warm steady
south wind to 14 mph. Temps. reaching the mid-70s F.

Raptor Observations:
Not the big movement we hoped for, but the flight was steady throughout the
day and very diverse. Decent numbers of sharp-shins and kestrels.
Highlights were an immature Northern Goshawk that flew very close straight
overhead and a mini movement of Broad-wings. With the good south wind,
birds remained close the shore, but were often very high. No big kettles
of birds.

Non-raptor Observations:
Common Loon--4, Double-crested Cormorant--6, Lesser Yellowlegs--1,
Yellow-bellied Sapsucker--1, Purple Martin--4, Northern Flicker--5,Horned
Lark--2, American Robin--12, Mixed blackbirds--50+.

Predictions:
A carbon copy of today, but even warmer with stronger south winds. After
the rather light movement today, it's hard to say what will show tomorrow,
but there should be some birds.

Jerry McWilliams
Erie, Erie County, Pa.
<jerrymcw...>