Date: 4/9/17 11:13 am
From: Lars Per Norgren <larspernorgren...>
Subject: [obol] Re: July record of Burrowing Owl in Corvallis area in 1952
*

My father did soils surveys for the BLM in Lane County in the late 60s or
early 70s. He saw Burrowing Owls at Camas Swale, then an ODF&W WMA
in summer months. I also recall discussing the species' presence in sw Linn
County , what I think of as the "Butte Country",during potential breeding season.
That would have been sometime fifty years or more ago.
Lars
On Apr 9, 2017, at 10:55 AM, Joel Geier wrote:

> Hi again all,
>
> In reading through the rather fun-to-read species accounts at the end of
> Richard Eddy's 1953 thesis, I happened across this item:
>
> Speotyto cunicularia hypugaea (Bonaparte)
> The western burrowing owl, a curious long-legged little owl was
> seen once, on July 28 [1952]. It was observed in a hay field
> three miles southeast of Corvallis on the Peoria road, standing
> near a ground squirrel burrow which it soon disappeared into.
>
> This was not at one of Eddy's survey sites, but it would have been on
> the way to/from his "brushy area" study site three miles farther
> southeast along the same road.
>
> Eddy also recorded Short-eared Owls twice that summer, "in the early
> mornings of June 21 and July 12, flapping slowly over some wet meadows
> east of Corvallis."
>
> He also notes that Nighthawks "were one of the commonest birds heard or
> seen in the evenings around Corvallis." Although their decline since the
> 1950s has sometimes been attributed to predation by crows on the exposed
> gravel rooftops where they nested, from Eddy's account seems that crows
> were also abundant around Corvallis at the time.
>
> Lots of other intriguing stuff in here. Here's that link to the
> downloadable PDF once again:
> http://ir.library.oregonstate.edu/xmlui/bitstream/handle/1957/34760/EddyRichardHewesJr1953.pdf
>
> Happy reading,
> Joel