Date: 4/8/17 8:13 pm
From: Wayne Hoffman <whoffman...>
Subject: [obol] Recent Newport birds
Hi -

I had to work Friday morning, so was not able to get out until about noon.

The larger freshwater puddle at the South Jety had 15 Red-necked Phalaropes, and the Gull spot had at least 10 Herring Gulls and 1 Thayer's, also 10+ adult Californias.  Adults of all three species were pretty much in breeding plumage, with bright soft-parts colors and no head streaking.

I talked to Chuck Philo who had seen flocks of 150 and 75 RN Phalaropes on the lower bay in the morning, also multiple Bonaparte's Gulls, and one Short-billed Dowitcher.

Ivisited Boiler Bay from 1:45 to 2:15 Friday, but saw little in the wind and spray:  a few gulls, cormorants, and 6 Surf Scoters.

Today (Saturday)  a drake Long-tailed Duck was off the south jetty.  He was molting into a plumage with a mostly-black head but otherwise was scruffy and short-tailed.

One Marbled Godwit, 1 Short-billed Dowitcher and 6 Western Sandpipers were at the HMSC nature trail at 8:50, but flew whan a young eagle came over.

At 9:50 Chuck called to tell me they both were out on the South Jetty, at the Gull spot.  The Dow was in full Alternate (breeding) plumage, and the godwit was also quite bright, (and by bill length a female).

The Peregrines at Yaquina Head now have eggs.

Wayne

Join us on Facebook!