Date: 4/8/17 2:26 pm
From: Joshua Little <joshua.p.little...>
Subject: [obol] Lane Red-necked Phalaropes, et al
Hello All,

I spent a couple nice hours out at Fern Ridge this morning. Between the
Fisher Butte South Unit, Perkins Peninsula, and Cantrell/Nielsen Road area,
I managed 70 species, including 8 FOY. It was amazing just how refreshing
it was for the sound waves to be filled with Savannahs and Yellowthroats!

Notables by stop:

Fisher South Unit:
2 BLACK-NECKED STILTS
50 LEAST SANDPIPERS
6 CINNAMON TEAL
2 VIRGINIA RAILS
SORA
PEREGRINE FALCON
Very conspicuous COMMON YELLOWTHROATS and SAVANNAH SPARROWS
PURPLE FINCH
One bush full of a dozen YELLOW-HEADED BLACKBIRDS was the most I've seen in
Lane County
All the swallows except Bank

Perkins Peninsula:
~30 ORANGE-CROWNED WARBLERS filled up seemingly every last bush!
ACORN WOODPECKER
PURPLE FINCHES
BALD EAGLE with a very fresh catch

Wetland south of Cantrell/Nielsen intersection:
2 RED-NECKED PHALAROPES - definitely the bird/surprise of the day! I only
saw them swimming for a short while then lost them amongs the weeds. Crazy
how early some of them are moving this Spring.
12 GREATER YELLOWLEGS
2 WOOD DUCKS
COOPER'S HAWK
RED-SHOULDERED HAWK
CHIPPING SPARROW

Besides the birds, just walking outside without getting drenched or blown
over was a really nice change of pace from the last, well, almost 4 months.

Good birding!

Joshua Little

--
Joshua Little