Date: 4/8/17 1:48 pm
From: Karen Markey <ylime...>
Subject: [birders] Early spring (4/8) field trip report to the Arb: Winter wrens galore!
Our group of about two dozen birders began today's field trip with two
pairs of Wood ducks perched in the trees at the end of Riverview, including
one of the females investigating a hole in a thick, bulky branch.
Golden-crowned kinglets were seen from the trip's beginning to end. Almost
everyone in the group got good looks at target species: Yellow-bellied
sapsucker, Eastern phoebe, Brown creeper, both Kinglets, Hermit thrush,
Pine warbler, and Yellow-rumped warbler. Eluding us was Fox sparrow until
the very end when we returned to our cars -- Alex caught sight of a Fox
sparrow in the dense brush paralleling Pineview Ct.

The star of today's field trip was WINTER WREN. A couple of us caught sight
of Old Faithful, that is, the Winter wren who has been seen and heard for
over a week and a half in the downed timber lining the wood margins at
third inlet of Dow Prairie's southwest corner. We relocated to the second
inlet where three Winter wrens came into view and at least one sang
repeatedly his complex and lengthy sound. Looping the Arb, our group caught
sight of another three Winter wrens here and there, resulting in a grand
total of EIGHT Winter wrens today! What a treat!

Many thanks to all birders who located birds and gave directions to their
fellow birders so they could also see them. A big heap of gratitude to
Norka Saldana who kept a running list of today's sightings. This was a
super great day, and I encourage birders to GET OUT THERE now while warm
south winds push the birds north to us.

Nichols Arboretum, Washtenaw, Michigan, US
Apr 8, 2017 8:00 AM - 1:03 PM
Protocol: Traveling
3.5 mile(s)
Comments: Washtenaw Audubon Field Trip ...
42 species

Canada Goose 27
Wood Duck 6
Mallard 4
Common Merganser 2
Turkey Vulture 2
Sharp-shinned Hawk 1
Red-tailed Hawk 1
Ring-billed Gull 5
Mourning Dove 2
Red-bellied Woodpecker 9

Yellow-bellied Sapsucker 5
Downy Woodpecker 8
Hairy Woodpecker 1
Northern Flicker 3
Eastern Phoebe 5
Blue Jay 9
American Crow 7
Tree Swallow 2
Black-capped Chickadee 22
Tufted Titmouse 16

White-breasted Nuthatch 13
Brown Creeper 6
Winter Wren 8
Golden-crowned Kinglet 13
Ruby-crowned Kinglet 2
Eastern Bluebird 4
Hermit Thrush 5
American Robin 13
Cedar Waxwing 5
Pine Warbler 3

Yellow-rumped Warbler 2
Fox Sparrow 3
Dark-eyed Junco 5
White-throated Sparrow 8
Song Sparrow 4
Eastern Towhee 2
Northern Cardinal 14
Red-winged Blackbird 5
Common Grackle 2
Brown-headed Cowbird 10

House Finch 3
American Goldfinch 9

View this checklist online at http://ebird.org/ebird/view/
checklist/S35787850

Setting options from the command line is explained in the User Guide:

https://glc-lists.merit.edu/sympa/help/user User Guide
https://glc-lists.merit.edu/sympa/help/faquser FAQ

To search the archive and view jpeg images:
https://glc-lists.merit.edu/sympa/arc/birders

birders is hosted by the Great Lakes Information Network (GLIN):

http://www.glin.net

All views and opinions presented above are solely those
of the author or attributed source and do not necessarily
reflect those of GLIN or the Great Lakes Commission.