Date: 4/8/17 5:04 am
From: Hawkcount.Org Reports <reports...>
Subject: Southern Chester County Hawk Watch at Bucktoe Creek Preserve (04 Apr 2017) 25 Raptors

Unknown Falcon 0 0 0
Unknown Eagle 0 0 0
Unknown Raptor 0 0 0

Total: 25 154 552

Observation start time: 13:00:00
Observation end time: 18:00:00
Total observation time: 5 hours

Official Counter: Larry Lewis

Observers: Kathleen Pileggi, Sue McLaughlin

Visitors:
SOUTHERN CHESTER COUNTY SPRING HAWK WATCH AT BUCKTOE CREEK PRESERVE
<BR><BR>
Visitors (4): Kathleen Pileggi, Ken Reynolds, Sue McLaughlin.
<BR><BR>
Thanks everyone, for coming to beautiful Bucktoe Creek Preserve Hawk
Watch!
<BR><BR>

Weather:
Mostly Cloudy with Rain, Temps 70-73F, Winds W 10-15 mph

Raptor Observations:
----“Raptors” seen, but deemed not to be migrating: 2-Bald Eagle,
1-Cooper's Hawk, 2-Red-shouldered Hawk, 6-Red-tailed Hawk, and numerous
Black (30) and Turkey Vultures (60).
<BR><BR>
----Bald Eagle ages: 1 yr.-0; 2 yr.-0; 3 yr.-0; 4 yr.-0; adult-3
<BR><BR>

Non-raptor Observations:
<BR><BR>
TODAY’S ‘BBB:’ Heavy rain prevented an early start to today’s watch, but a
noon call from Kathleen, already on site, prevented me from taking the day
off. When I arrived, the sky was cloudy with some lovely breaks and Sue
and Ken were also there. So, I was last to arrive. Great…. There were
instantly a few hawks about – a Cooper’s, local and migrant Red-tails, a
couple Red-shoulders, several Eagles. Washout day was not - at least, not
totally.
Sue and ever-present “sidekick” Ken, sauntered around the Watch site. No,
more accurately, Ken trundled, Sue…now, she sauntered. (We were having fun
with synonyms for strolling/walking – where’s my thesaurus?) Careful Ken,
it was your first time out here this spring and we do have standards,
especially for newbies – I mean, trundle?? Couldn’t you at least stroll?
Speaking of walking, today’s late day trek (another one) around the meadow
yielded the trill of American Toads in the vernal pond to our north. We
had hiked (one more) that same trail yesterday and nothing. Did I somehow
miss them ALL or did that entire chorus of American Toads just happen
today!? Wow!
<BR><BR>
----My thanks to Kathleen Pileggi for posting these sightings to ebird and
for helping with this submission to “Hawk Count.” Thanks also, to the
Brokaws, for their incredible support and gracious generosity in opening
their property to the public for this watch, and oh, so very much more!
<BR><BR>
----ADDITIONAL BIRD HIGHLIGHTS: 3-Golden-crowned Kinglet, 2-Brown Thrasher,
1-Palm Warbler, 8-White-crowned Sparrow.
<BR><BR>
----OTHER WILDLIFE NOTED: Butterflies (1): Clouded Sulphur. Dragonflies
(0); Reptiles & Amphibians (2): Spring Peeper, American Toad. Mammals (1):
Eastern Gray Squirrel.
<BR><BR>
for today (join me, if you wish): Miles: 3.35; Steps: 7,868; Floors: 19.
<BR><BR>
----“SEASON’S BIRD SPECIES LIST” – we at Bucktoe are not just a hawk watch,
(very rough, best “guestimate,” – raptors must remain our primary focus)
for totals of each species seen for “The Watch” year.
<BR><BR>
TOTAL SPECIES – Identified from watch site: today: 44; this season: 81
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>

Predictions:
Come join us, folks! We’re here every day thru April 30, 9am thru 3pm (at
least). Rain or shine…. but not snow or ice…
The Hawk Watch at Bucktoe Creek Preserve is sponsored by ... well,
sponsored by nobody at the moment (which, I guess, means it’s being
sponsored by me, for now, right folks?), although in the past sponsored,
alternately and personally very appreciatively, by the Delaware Nature
Society & The Land Conservancy for Southern Chester County. and certainly
the Brokaw family. Please contact us at <earlybirdtours...> with
questions or comments.

Site Description:
High open meadow near Red Clay Creek

Directions to site: