Date: 4/5/17 1:41 pm
From: Lars Per Norgren <larspernorgren...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Great Start to the Mt Tabor Birdsong Walks
*

After Tom left we added Scrub Jay, Mallard, Canada Goose, and Sharp-shinned Hawk. 42 species is respectable any three hours on Mt Tabor. For the 1st week of April auspicious indeed. The Sharp-shinned Hawk was perched on a very exposed branch at our eye level, great view until she flew. Lars
On Apr 5, 2017, at 1:00 PM, Tom McNamara wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> There are innumerable means of divination---looking at tea leaves, reading palms, pawing through animal guts (if you're into the haruspex thing) ---and I practice precisely none of them. But as a birder, and if I were inclined to alternative..facxx, I would want to do it by reading the signs of the birds---auspices. The group for the initial birdsong walk of the season on Mt Tabor were agreed that this morning was indeed auspicious, may the good birding on these walks continue!
>
> We had excellent species numbers for the time of the year, good diversity and obliging singers.
> Pileated Woodpecker (heard only) was a great find here. I've only had 3 detections of the species in my time birding the park. We also had our FOS Black-throated Gray Warbler ---spot on for the average arrival date, good numbers of Orange-crowned warblers and Audubon's and some impossibly bright Townsend's Warb.
> Musta been a pulse of Hermit Thrushes and Fox Sparrows as we had 6 or 7 each for those species.
> Also an intergrade N. Flicker.
>
> The fine group of folks who made it out---a good number of familiar face and some newbies all made for a really fun time.
>
> Here's the checklist:

> good birding, Tom

Join us on Facebook!