Date: 4/5/17 10:06 am
From: Shari Edelson <ske13...>
Subject: Scissor-tailed flycatcher - possible sighting on PSU campus
This is the first time I've ever posted to this listserve, but I've been a subscriber for a few years now.

The reason I'm writing is that I am almost positive that I saw a scissor-tailed flycatcher on the Penn State campus this morning!

Location was Big Hollow Rd., between the intersections with Tower Rd. and Services Rd. Time was about 9am - I'm just getting back to my computer now, or I would have written earlier.

The extremely long tail feathers, dark band of coloration near the beak and eye, overall size, and fluffed-up crest of feathers on the forehead are a dead-on match.

I am an amateur/hobbyist as far as bird ID goes, but I am almost completely positive that this is what I saw - which would be extremely rare, right?

I hope someone else can get out to look for this bird and maybe even get another peek!

All the best,
Shari

Shari Edelson
Director of Horticulture & Curator