Date: 4/3/17 9:34 pm
From: Joel Geier <joel.geier...>
Subject: [obol] Nashville Warbler breeding status in Coast Range
Hi all,

Following on Dave Irons' and Tom Mickel's comments, I'll just add my own
impressions on the breeding status of Nashville Warblers based on
20-some years of paying attention to things in Benton and Polk Counties.

First off, sightings of Nashville Warblers are generally sparse on the
west side of the Willamette River at this latitude, even during the
season when migrants are moving through. About 15 years back Barb Bellin
(who grew up in Philomath and still has one of the longer lists for
Benton Co.) told me that she was still looking for her first Nashville
Warbler in Benton County. I've seen a few but I always count them as a
highlight for the year, since they're far from guaranteed.

They're even harder to find in Polk County. All of my Polk County
sightings except one (which I'll get to in a bit) have been within 5
miles of the SE corner of Polk County.

Migrants are seen (sparsely) through the middle of May. We've had a few
singing birds that showed territorial behavior in early May. However,
reports of them staying at a single location for multiple days are very
scarce. The only such report that I'm aware of from Benton County is a
male Nashville Warbler that sang at Bald Hill Park just west of
Corvallis, from 26 May through 5 June in 2012 (as reported by Don
Boucher and Bill Proebsting).

There have been a few other isolated reports from late June or July
which might represent post-breeding dispersal. I encountered a male
Nashville Warbler near Laurel Peak (Polk County Coast Range) during the
late part of the breeding season in 1999. There have been a handful of
similar late-season/post-breeding records from Marys Peak in Benton
County.

So I would say, there is still no solid evidence of Nashville Warblers
breeding in the Coast Range in either Polk or Benton County, though
there are a few hints that they might nest very sparsely.

--
Joel Geier
Camp Adair area north of Corvallis

Join us on Facebook!