Date: 4/3/17 11:08 am
From: Hendrik Herlyn <hhactitis...>
Subject: [obol] Bald Hill (Corvallis) - Vesper Sparrow, N. Rough-winged Swallow
Hello all,

I hiked around Bald Hill Park this morning, looking for migrants. The area
was crawling with singing ORANGE-CROWNED WARBLERS, but I found no other
warblers, nor any vireos or flycatchers.

Along the trail south of Bald Hill Farm (near the little covered bench) I
found one VESPER SPARROW (perched a ways out in the field west of the
trail), along with numerous SAVANNAH SPARROWS. In the same area, a lone
NORTHERN ROUGH-WINGED SWALLOW had joined the local TREE and VIOLET-GREEN
SWALLOWS on a wire.

While I was watching the swallows and sparrows, a flock of about 70
AMERICAN PIPITS flew in. To my surprise, most of the birds landed high in a
single oak before scattering into the grassy field.

Otherwise, things were pretty slow.

Happy Spring Migration

Hendrik

--