Date: 4/3/17 6:53 am
From: <reports...>
Subject: [MASSBIRD] Plum Island MA (02 Apr 2017) 45 Raptors

Unknown Buteo 0 0 0
Unknown Falcon 0 0 0
Unknown Eagle 0 0 0
Unknown Raptor 0 0 0

Total: 45 45 62

Observation start time: 08:30:00
Observation end time: 16:30:00
Total observation time: 8 hours

Official Counter: Mark Schoene, Ted Mara

Observers: Brian Rusnica, Judd Nathan, Kathryn Chihowski, Paul Roberts,
Ted Mara

Visitors:
Helping with the count were Tom Wetmore, Tom Graham, Kathryn Chihowski,
Robert Secatore, and Chris Carroll. Had many other visitors, including Marj
Watson.

Weather:
The weather was nicer than expected. Winds were weak NNW/NW at 5-8 mph, but
gusts increased and were fairly persistent at 10-15 mph second half of
morning and early afternoon. Started heavily overcast and turned primarily
sunny and warmer for most of day. Wonderful spring hawk watching day.

Raptor Observations:
Migrants trickled through, but local raptors were very active and
interactive, so we almost always had raptors in sight. We had great
spotters and often great views. Locals included up to 20 Turkey Vultures, 3
Ospreys,4 Bald Eagles ( 2 ad, 1 juv, 1 immature), 4-8 Red-tailed Hawks, 1
Rough-legged Hawk, and 1 hunting Peregrine. MIgrants included an immature
Bald Eagle (Basic I/II), several adult male and female Northern Harriers,
two immature Cooper's Hawks, 2 immature Peregrine Falcons, and 2 adult male
Merlins. A great day to watch hawks!

Non-raptor Observations:
We had lots of bird activity, though relatively few migrant passerines.
Highlights included great views of 6 migrating SNow Geese, 2 Common Ravens,
2 Great Egrets, a drake Black Scoter barreling past the platform heading
inland, 3 Red-breasted Merganser drakes, and a turkey. Small numbers of
grackles and crows moving through, and goldfinches, with mockingbirds,
cardinals, Blue Jays and Black-capped Chickadees active around the
platform.

Predictions:
The high is expected to move over and past eastern New England MOnday, with
weakening winds turning onshore in the afternoon. Could have continuation
of thin stream, tapering off. Remainder of week looks to be rainy or with
adverse winds.
Report submitted by Paul Roberts (<phawk254...>)
Plum Island MA information may be found at:
http://massbird.org/EMHW/

Join us on Facebook!