Date: 4/3/17 5:06 am
From: Victor Riemenschneider <vriemens...>
Subject: [IN-BIRD-L] St Joseph County, Spicer Lake Nature Preserve
Marge and I decided to bird Spicer Lake Sunday early afternoon. On the way out, we stopped at the pond on Adams Road just west of Orange Road and saw the following; Blue-winged Teal - 8, Northern Shoveler-1, Ring-neck Ducks-16, and Pied-billed Grebe-1. Continuing west, we observed many coots and a few Blue-winged Teal at the Brushy Fork Trail wetland.

The following list at Spicer Lake walking the boardwalk and wetland trail. Water level in wetland is high.

Canada Goose - 7
Wood Duck - 4
Mallard - 2
Turkey Vulture - 3
Sandhill Crane - 1, landed in wetland and gave a very loud rattle call several times
Red-bellied Woodpecker -3
Downy Woodpecker - 2
Northern Flicker - 2
Pileated Woodpecker - 2, appeared to be a pair
Eastern Phoebe - 1
American Crow - 4
Tree Swallow - 1
Black-capped Chickadee - 1
White-breasted Nuthatch - 5
Winter wren - 1
Golden-crowned Kinglet - 1
American Robin - 8
American Tree Sparrow - 1
Song Sparrow - 12
Northern Cardinal - 7
Red-winged Blackbird - 4
House Finch - 1

It seemed to be a more active day for humans than birds, we met people all along the trail and there 14 cars in lot when we returned. Only a few spring wild flowers in bloom.

Join us on Facebook!