Date: 4/2/17 11:39 am
From: Keith Arnold <kbarnold2...>
Subject: [texbirds] Re: Today at Hornsby Bend Austin, Tx
Use only of species codes [Bird Banding Laboratory] obviously does problems
for those persons not familiar with the system, so using the complete
common name or some recognizable shorthand [e.g., LB Dowitcher] when a
species is 1st mentioned in a posting is reasonable. In longer postings,
where a species might be mentioned several times, use of these codes can
certainly shorten the posting.
Although it has been presented on Texbirds previously, a summary may be
worthwhile. For a species with a single part to a name, the code uses the
1st 4 letters of the name [e.g., Whimbrel = WHIM]; for a 2-part name, use
the 1st 2 letters of each part [Northern Cardinal = NOCA]' for a 3-part
name, use the 1st letter of the 1st 2 parts, and the 1st 2 letters of the
3rd part [e.g., Long-billed Dowitcher = LBDO]; aand for a 4-part name, use
the 1st letter of each part [e.g., Black-bellied Whistling-Duck = BBWD].

Of course, there are complications: consider Carolina Wren, Cactus Wren and
Canyon Wren - you can't us CAWR for any of them, so the BBL has used the
1st 3 letters of the 1st part and the 1st letter of the second part [CARW,
CACW. CANW]. Several other complications exist. considering the relatively
recent split of Canada and Cackling Geese; if the BBL followed the example
of the wrens, I would expect the abbreviations as CANG and CACG,
respectfully. Look at the list of Texas birds and see how many other
problems exist!

Keith Arnold
Bryan/TAMU

On Sun, Apr 2, 2017 at 11:07 AM, Sebastian C <sc11birds...> wrote:

> Sorry, I'm so use to writing the four letter codes.
> CAEG-Cattle Egret
> BNST-Black-necked Stilt
> SPSA- Spotted Sandpiper
> BASA- Baird's Sandpiper
> LBDO- Long-billed Dowitcher
>
> This was on April 1 not on April 2. I guess my email didn't finally post
> until this morning.
>
> Happy Birding,
> Sebastian Casarez
> Hutto, TX
>

> On Apr 2, 2017 10:20 AM, "Laura Baker" <lolabe11...> wrote:
>
> > I wish we could spell out the bird names :(
> >
> > > On Apr 1, 2017, at 11:33 PM, Sebastian C <sc11birds...> wrote:
> > >
> > > Hello fellow Texbirders,
> > > Today I birded around the ponds at Hornsby Bend in the early afternoon.
> > And
> > > I was surprised when I found a flock of 22 LBDO foraging at Pond 1
> West.
> > > also got FOS birds for the year such as a flock of CAEG, a SPSA, 4
> BNST,
> > 5
> > > BASA, and a flock of LBDO. I took photos of the LBDO and submitted them
> > > my eBird checklist.
> > >
> > > Happy Birding,
> > > Sebastian Casarez
> > > Hutto,TX
> > >

> > > Edit your Freelists account settings for TEXBIRDS at
> > > http://www.freelists.org/list/texbirds
> > >
> > > Reposting of traffic from TEXBIRDS is prohibited without seeking
> > permission
> > > from the List Owner
> > >

> > Edit your Freelists account settings for TEXBIRDS at
> > http://www.freelists.org/list/texbirds
> >
> > Reposting of traffic from TEXBIRDS is prohibited without seeking
> permission
> > from the List Owner

> from the List Owner

http://www.freelists.org/list/texbirds