Date: 3/31/17 2:13 pm
From: Clay Taylor <Clay.Taylor...>
Subject: [texbirds] Corpus Christi Yard - what the Mockingbird says
Hi all -
Yep, it's definitely spring, as the Northern Mockingbirds are fighting wars in my yard (at least three males), and singing their brains out. As always, it is WHAT they are singing that gets my attention:
(the regulars)
Northern Cardinal
Carolina Wren
House Wren
Black-crested Titmouse snippets
Various swallows and the Purple Martins
Green Jay
Various blackbird and grackle-type sounds
Also (the less-common and migrants)
Groove-billed Ani
Chuck-will's-Widow
Great-crested Flycatcher
Scissor-tailed Flycatcher
Couch's Kingbird
Eastern Phoebe (and my wintering birds have been gone for weeks!)
Long-billed Thrasher
(and then the truly surprising)
Something that sounds very Quail-like - not entirely sure which one, or WHERE he heard it
Blue Jay!!! He is doing it PERFECTLY, and often, just to tick me off, as I do not have Blue Jay for the yard list.
Arrggghhhh......

Oh, yes, the Starling that does the Common Nighthawk call is still here. I was hoping that one of the Cooper's Hawks would catch and eat that bird over the winter, but no such luck.

The Ruby-throated Hummingbirds have finally arrived, and are warring throughout the yard. No sign of Buffie.

Saw my FOS Chimney Swift today.

Surprisingly, I did not see any migrating hawks yesterday, and only had a nice adult Swainson's Hawk today.

Also, a lot of butterflies, but very few skippers: Theona Checkerspots, Bordered Patch, Texas, Phaon and Vesta Crescents, Little Yellow, Dainty Sulfur, Common Lyside Sulfur, Large Orange, Common Dogface, Checkered White, Giant and Pipevine Swallowtails, Snout, Rounded Metalmark, Gray and Mallow-scrub Hairsteaks, Funereal Duskywing, Variegated Fritillary, and a bunch of Red Admirals on the Texas Olive, which is finally covered in blossoms after getting whacked by the January freeze.

Come on, warblers!

SWAROVSKI OPTIK NA LTD
Clay Taylor
Naturalist Market Manager
2 Slater Road
Cranston, RI 02920
Cell 401-965-9064
Tel. 800-426-3089 x2959
<Clay.taylor...><mailto:<Clay.taylor...>
WWW.SWAROVSKIOPTIK.COM<http://aa.swarovskioptik.com/nature>
<image001.png><https://www.facebook.com/swarovskioptik.nature><image002.png><https://twitter.com/swarovskioptik><image003.png><http://www.youtube.com/digiscopingvideos><image004.png><https://plus.google.com/b/108435299420294131153/108435299420294131153/posts><image005.png><http://www.pinterest.com/swarovskioptik/nature-swarovski-optik/><image006.jpg><http://www.instagram.com/swarovskioptik_nature>

This communication may contain information that is legally privileged, confidential or exempt from disclosure. If you are not the intended recipient, please note that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. Anyone who receives this message in error should notify the sender immediately by telephone or by return e-mail and delete this communication entirely from his or her computer.

http://www.freelists.org/list/texbirds

from the List Owner

Join us on Facebook!