Date: 3/30/17 1:32 pm
From: Bird observations from western New York <geneseebirds-l...>
Subject: [GeneseeBirds-L] Lake Ontario Plain - Thursday - King Eider, Cackling Geese
The BOS Lake Ontario Plain field trip was held today. This trip goes to
areas of eastern Niagara and western Orleans Counties near the shore of Lake
Ontario. A great group of18 birders attended, s surprising number given the
relatively short notice and the fact it was a weekday. The highlight was an
immature male KING EIDER just off shore by the lighthouse at Golden Hill
State Park. We found the eider around 11:30 and Joel Strong was able to see
it later around 1:00. For those who were on last year's spring trip, this
bird was quite the contrast with last year's King Eider being over a mile
out.

We found five CACKLING GEESE along Rt 18, a mile east of Countyline Road and
11 SNOW GEESE along Countyline Road, plus a single Snow Goose between Day
Road and Rt 104. Shortly after departing the group, Joel Strong found two
GREATER WHITE-FRONTED GEESE in flight over Murdock Road heading north. The
group had broken up by that time and attempts by Joel and Betsy and me to
locate these birds on the ground were unsuccessful. Dabbling ducks showed
pretty well with NORTHERN PINTAIL, AMERICAN WIGEON, GREEN-WINGED TEAL,
NORTHERN SHOVELER, and BLACK DUCK all found, most in multiple spots. We also
had a fly-by of four WOOD DUCKS and while driving home, Betsy and I had a
lone TUNDRA SWAN.

There were not many birds flying over Lake Ontario plus the heavy chop made
finding birds on the water a challenge. We felt fortunate to get the eider
and we also had a couple dozen RED-NECKED GREBES and perhaps half that many
HORNED GREBES. A single COMMON MERGANSER was off of SHADIGEE, as were our
only WHITE-WINGED SCOTERS. We were unable to find any loons.

The east wind mostly kept the hawks from flying. A couple of NORTHERN
HARRIERS and a few AMERICAN KESTRELS were seen, as was a ROUGH-LEGGED HAWK
found by Chris Rockwell after the group disbanded (Lakeshore Road a bit west
of Shadigee). There were lots of Turkey Vultures. Other than Killdeer and an
AMERICAN WOODCOCK that Betsy and Joel flushed, we had no shorebirds. A
PILEATED WOODPECKER flew over Rt 18 between Murdock and Marshall Roads. Two
EASTERN PHOEBES were heard and seen - one on Hosmer Road and one on Coates
Road. We had a few HORNED LARKS in the fields but no other field birds.

It was a cold spring day with a stiff wind so we had to work hard for the
birds that we got.

Good birding!

Willie

Willie D'Anna