Date: 3/29/17 10:26 pm
From: Hendrik Herlyn <hhactitis...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Young Golden Crowns?
We've had a young White-throated Sparrow here in Corvallis this winter,
which started out with a very short tail and incomplete flight feathers and
still looks very immature, compared to our two or three adult birds. When
it first showed up, it almost looked like a recent fledgling, but I doubt
very much that it was born locally. Without consulting any references,
maybe these sparrows undergo a wing and tail molt from juvenile to immature
plumage before molting the smaller body feathers (e.g., the head)?

Certainly a funky-looking visitor at our seed patch!

Hendrik

On Wed, Mar 29, 2017 at 10:01 PM, Alan Contreras <acontrer56...>
wrote:

> Fred Ramsey had one missing a tail and half its flight feathers, either a
> pretty exceptional molt or a close escape from kitty.
>
> Alan Contreras
> Eugene, Oregon
>
> <acontrer56...>
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>

> > On Mar 29, 2017, at 9:58 PM, Paul Sullivan <paultsullivan...>
> wrote:
> >
> > Linda,
> >
> > I'm seeing scruffy birds in my yard, too. I think they are last year's
> > young molting into adult plumage. I could be wrong.
> >
> > Paul Sullivan
> >
> > ------------------------------
> > Subject: Young Golden Crowns?
> > Date: Wed Mar 29 2017 23:26 pm
> > From: lindaphelanlmt AT gmail.com
> >
> > Hello Obolers, Yesterday I had what looked like newly fledged Golden
> Crown
> > Sparrows kicking around in the leaf litter. I've seen other young birds,
> and
> > that's what these looked like, but the information I've read said they
> nest
> > up north. They sure had the scruffy looked of newly fledged birds. I
> still
> > see the adults out there under my feeders some days.
> >
> > Does anybody have insight or knowledge into this?
> >
> > Linda, Fanno Creek
> >
> > --
> >
> > Linda Lee
> >

> > POST: Send your post to <obol...>