Date: 3/29/17 5:42 pm
Subject: Re: [birders] OT: Bird feeder advice
Hey John......
I believe the feeder you have is called a 'Looker'. (Looker, Inc., - Looker.com)
I've had one for years and have very good success feeding bluebirds.
Like you, I've tried the Bluebird Nuggets. I've never observed a bluebird eating them at all. Perhaps others have...???

I feed Bluebirds using one of those 'Looker' feeders. I use mealworms. Bluebirds love 'em, especially during cold weather. The Bluebirds also supplement the diets of their nestlings with the mealworms. (A vital, quite likely lifesaving, process especially during the cold, wet weather often encountered during the early weeks of the nesting season, when natural food is scarce, or non-existent...!! )

I place the mealworms into small, plastic 'Frozen Vegetable' dishes, set inside the Looker. I've gone to the trouble of subdividing the dish into three sections (Glue & Small pieces of cedar shingles). I place the mealworms into the center section. That prevents starlings from stretching their necks into the Looker and grabbing the mealworms.

I've had Bluebirds ( 5 or 6 ) with me thru the past winter. There are only two now. They've selected a nestbox perhaps 50 feet from my house. Mrs Bluebird has, just today, put the finishing touches on her 1st nest. We expect her 1st egg in a day or two.

Thank you for caring about our Easter Bluebird population. They really need our help.

Bruce Macd.... SW Ontario, near the N Shore of Lake Erie, 26 mi. S. of Detroit