Date: 3/28/17 11:29 pm
From: Robert O'Brien <baro...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Oregon's listserv
As usual, Paul's comment is well considered, contrapuntal and timely. This
leads me to ask a question I've long considered. Our moderator has stated
that OBOL has about 1200 members. Seems like a lot. It would be
straightforward to tally either approximately or precisely the number of
posts per individual members using the archives. But ive long wondered how
many members find it worthwhile to actually read obol on a regular
basis............. Hmmmmm?

Bob obrien

On Tuesday, March 28, 2017, Paul Sullivan <paultsullivan@onlinenwoe:
> While I am a frequent contributor to this list and while I regularly
consult it to see what birds are being reported, I am not totally in love
with OBOL. I find it refreshing to go off to the far side of the state,
birding, and get away from the chatter every now and then.

> I’ve seen a goodly number of Oregon birders drop off the radar since OBOL
became the main channel of communication. I meet people In the field who
don’t look at it. I hear people say it’s “too much” or “they sure do get
off on _____ (threads).”

> -- there are voices that are gruff
>
> -- there are voices that are verbose
>
> -- there are voices that are know-it-all
>
> Those modes aren’t helpful.
>

> Folks who are on the inside should beware of self-congratulation. Yes,
those who are “in” like it, but we don’t hear from those who “left.” OBOL
does not comprise the whole of Oregon birders/bird enthusiasts.

> I like James Billstine’s Haiku, a cautionary note.
>

> Paul Sullivan

Join us on Facebook!