Date: 3/26/17 5:58 pm
From: Lee Schoenewe <lschoe...>
Subject: [ia-bird] Mergansers and more
Being out of town for the weekend but getting reports of cranes, loons and
pelicans from Lost Island Lake area I had to run over there late this
afternoon. All three species of mergansers were on the lake with the
Red-breasted taking the peak migration prize. I counted 207 from an
elevated view on the northwest corner of the lake, and a group of seven
males with wild hair were hunkin' and jivin' to impress one female out in
the middle of the lake. And I thought I could dance!!

22 species of ducks and geese in a short two hours in the Ruthven area
including swans in three places. A basic-plumaged Eared Grebe and six
Common Loons were also picked from the activity on the lake. I did not see
Sandhill Cranes but heard them from somewhere out in the Lost Island
Marsh/Dewey's Pasture complex. I only wish I'd had more time!

Lee A. Schoenewe

Spencer