Date: 3/25/17 5:36 pm
From: Stephen Johnson <stevejohnson2...>
Subject: Re: [Va-bird] Prairie Falcon: RFI

Some info to help you search .. .. mostly, just what Ned and Rich told us:

1) It tends to perch for many minutes at a time; then one short flight, and another perch. It is fairly still while perched, and easily overlooked. Its last (of 3) perches while we were there lasted a good half hour.

2) Two of the perches during our hour were high on the twin cylindrical towers on the S side of the plant, and one was high on the building itself. In all three cases, the perch was *BELOW* the highest point. On the towers, it was on the rim or "collar" about 2 feet below the top rim. On the building it was on a metal ledge just underneath a ramp or gangway of some kind. I.e. a good perch to stay out of the rain, but a hard location to spot the bird.

3) Each flight we saw was down, then back up to another high perch. The first flight was a classic power glide, very Peregrine-esque, almost straight towards us. It banked left and headed back up to perch on a tower, the whole thing seeming almost effortless including the climb back up.

-Steve