Date: 3/20/17 5:38 pm
From: 'Daniel & Barbara Williams' <twotringas...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: Re: IBET BY Hummer
A quick check of eBird for the current year shows reports along the eastern
seaboard as far north as Cape May, NJ, but there are no records from the
central US further north than central Arkansas and Huntsville, Alabama. No
reports at all from southern IL, Kentucky, Missouri or Tennessee.

Dan Williams
Rockford

On Mon, Mar 20, 2017 at 12:49 PM, 'Bailey, Steven D' <sdbailey...>
[ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...> wrote:

> Today would be an extremely early arrival date for a Ruby-throated
> Hummingbird to be back in Illinois (in fact the earliest ever!). Bohlen’s
> Birds of Illinois has April 11th as the earliest hummingbird record for
> the state. Although there likely has been one or a few earlier arrival
> dates set for this species since that book was published, it is likely that
> it is only by one or a few days earlier… not 22 days earlier. Are there a
> lot of flowers in bloom there in Carroll County, or maybe lots of insects
> flying around? The reason that it is usually at least mid-April before the
> hummingbirds get back, is because there will be plenty for them to eat by
> then. Otherwise, it is basically like committing suicide to arrive back to
> find there is nothing/virtually nothing for them to eat. Possibly the bird
> was one of the two species of kinglet, which are not much bigger than a
> hummingbird (and also hover somewhat like them)… and much more likely to be
> around now… or maybe even a chickadee. (Sorry if this is a duplicate
> posting, my first post did not seem to get delivered).
>

> Steve Bailey
>
> Mundelein (Lake Co.)
>
> <sdbailey...>

Join us on Facebook!