Date: 3/20/17 1:37 pm
Subject: RE: Woodcock no more--north to die in snow?
To John’s point, I’ve witnessed woodcock displaying in NC seven months out of the year (November through May, inclusive), an indication that this behavior is not specifically tied to what we widely consider “breeding season”. I’ve had birds in the Piedmont display from November through March (inclusive) and in April in May along the Blue Ridge Parkway.

We tend to *think* of them displaying in February, but that’s probably more of an anthropomorphism on our part than a behavioral characteristic on theirs. I can typically count on getting my “year bird” woodcock on or about 1/1 each year, but that’s just having to wait on the calendar to roll around.

Steve Shultz
Apex, NC

On 2017-03-20 07:47, Frank Enders wrote:

Many woodcock have died, NY to Vermont, in recent snow--some by imm Goshawk in Brooklyn's Prospect Park, some hitting tall buildings, some starving on frozen white.

For months one to several woodcock were singing just north of Quankey Creek along Aurelian Springs Road. But, the displays stopped about two weeks ago. Makes me wonder how many of "our" woodcock are birds which breed in more northern areas. Always have wondered about "double-brooding", which might be just by males which try here and try again up there, females "stuck" here with nests. Too speculative, I guess.

But, nobody knows what percentage of "our" woodcock, which display for the Xmas bird counts, may not be local breeders.

Frank Enders, Halifax, NC

Join us on Facebook!