Date: 3/20/17 1:25 pm
Subject: Re: Woodcock no more--north to die in snow?
When we were doing woodcock studies during winter in the late 1970s near
Lake Mattamuskeet in Hyde County, NC large numbers of males would engage in
courtship activity in February. Most of these were wintering birds as
evidenced by band recoveries we received from the north east US and Canada.
This is the same for most birds...they are stimulated to rehearse their
courtship song/display as their hormones kick in, sometimes on the
wintering grounds and often during migration.
John Connors
Raleigh, NC

Join us on Facebook!