Date: 3/20/17 8:36 am
From: Jeff Gerbracht <jeffgerbracht...>
Subject: Re: [cayugabirds-l] URGENT ALERT: Dodge Rd Spruce Woods may be cut down for massive Solar Farm on Dodge rd, STARTING in APRIL !!
As someone who believes we MUST reduce fossil fuel usage as quickly as
possible and as someone who frequently goes birding along Dodge Rd., this
is an issue which I personally grapple with. These woods are utilized by
Red-breasted Nuthatch, Golden-crowned Kinglet, migrating Cape May Warblers
and in the past, Long-eared Owl and on the other hand, the woods are an
artificial monoculture and the proposal seems to me to be removal of a
portion of the woods, not the entire lot.

Can I say we must use more renewable energy, yet also say, not here. I
really struggle with this. Any development will have negative consequences
on a micro scale, but I think the macro scale issues of fossil fuels vs
renewables, in this case, outweigh the micro scale issues of losing a
portion of a spruce woodlot. If this area were an endangered habitat, i
might feel differently.

My 2 cents,
Jeff Gerbracht

On Mon, Mar 20, 2017 at 9:48 AM, Nari Mistry <nbm2...> wrote:

> There is urgent need for lovers of birds and wildlife along Dodge Rd. to
> be aware of imminent developments along Dodge Rd.
>
> The massive industrial scale solar farm proposed in all the Cornell owned
> fields along Dodge Rd and Stevenson Rd (as well as Turkey Hill Rd.) is
> planning to start construction in a few weeks. There was a hearing in
> Dryden last Thursday at which many residents spoke out against the massive
> scale of the project which will devastate wildlife habitat.
>
> We have just learned this morning from a member of the Dryden Conservation
> Board that they are proposing to cut down the Spruce Woods bordering the
> WEST side of Dodge Rd. because they will shadow the panels slated to go
> right along the very edge of Dodge R. next to a (barbed-wire topped) fence!
>
> If you are concerned about this assault and the effect of replacing all
> the grassland in the fields with sod under the panels (and herbicides???),
> please write immediately to the Dryden Town Board and ATTEND THE PLANNING
> BOARD MEETING scheduled on THIS Thursday March 23, at 7pm at the Dryden
> Town Hall on Main Street.
>
> Please express your opinion that may help reduce the scale of this
> commercial operation that will devastate wildlife in this favorite location
> for viewing wildlife!
>
> Nari & Gin Mistry
>
> Ellis Hollow rd.
>

> --