Date: 3/19/17 1:26 pm
From: Jeffrey Short <bashman...>
Subject: FW: King of the Sky

This came from a gentleman who runs a 2,000-acre corn farm up around Barron,
WI, not far from Oshkosh He used to fly F-4Es and F-16s for the Guard and
participated in the first Gulf War.

His story:

I went out to plant corn for a bit, to finish a field before tomorrow
morning and witnessed 'The Great Battle'. A golden eagle -- big, with about
a six-foot wingspan - flew right in front of the tractor. It was being
chased by three crows that were continually dive bombing it and pecking at
it. The crows do this because the eagles rob their nests when they find
them.

At any rate, the eagle banked hard right in one evasive maneuver, then
landed in the field about 100 feet from the tractor. This eagle stood about
3 feet tall. The crows all landed too and took up positions around the
eagle at 120 degrees apart, but kept their distance at about 20 feet from
the big bird. The eagle would take a couple steps towards one of the crows
and they'd hop backwards and forward to keep their distance. Then the
reinforcement showed up. I happened to spot the eagle's mate hurtling down
out of the sky at what appeared to be approximately Mach 1.5. Just before
impact, the eagle on the ground took flight, (obviously a coordinated
tactic; probably pre-briefed) and the three crows that were watching the
grounded eagle also took flight -- thinking they were going to get in some
more pecking on the big bird.

The first crow being targeted by the diving eagle never stood a snowball's
chance. There was a mid-air explosion of black feathers, and that crow was
done.

The diving eagle then banked hard left in what had to be a 9G climbing turn,
using the energy it had accumulated in the dive, and hit crow #2 less than
two seconds later. Another crow dead.

The grounded eagle, which was now airborne and had an altitude advantage on
the remaining crow that was streaking eastward in full burner, made a short
dive, then banked hard right when the escaping crow tried to evade the hit.
It didn't work - crow #3 bit the dust at about 20 feet AGL. This aerial
battle was better than any air show I've been to, including the War Birds
show at Oshkosh The two eagles ripped the crows apart, and ate them on the
ground; and, as I got closer and closer working my way across the field, I
passed within 20 feet of one of them as it ate its catch. It stopped and
looked at me as I went by, and you could see in the look of that bird that
it knew who's Boss of the Sky. What a beautiful bird!
Not only did they kill their enemy, they ate them. One of the best Fighter
Pilot stories I've seen in a long time.

<http://www.avg.com/email-signature?utm_medium=email&utm_source=link&utm_cam
paign=sig-email&utm_content=emailclient>
http://www.avg.com/email-signature?utm_medium=email&utm_source=link&utm_camp
aign=sig-email&utm_content=emailclient

Virus-free.
<http://www.avg.com/email-signature?utm_medium=email&utm_source=link&utm_cam