Date: 3/19/17 11:01 am
From: Connor, Jack <Jack.Connor...>
Subject: Re: [JERSEYBI] Albino Duck, Nacote Creek in Port Republic
Just noticed the exchange below about the leucistic hooded merg in Port RepublIc. Yong Kong's photo is not a trick of lighting. I first heard about this bird last Thursday from a birder -- not Y.K. -- I met at the Nacote Creek spillway who told me he had photo'd it a day or two earlier. I've looked several times for it since w/o luck.

Not sure if I missed other comments here, but YK's initial ID is correct. (I think we should use leucistic because some colors present.)

Interestingly, there was a very similarly-patterned leucistic hooded merg that appeared two winters in a row -- 2004 and 2005 -- on Lake Fred on the Stockton campus (about four miles from the Nacote Creek spillway).

Jack Connor