Date: 3/19/17 4:27 am
From: Gerry Rising <insrisg...>
Subject: Re:[cayugabirds-l] cayugabirds-l digest: March 19, 2017

Mary Jane, I suspect windows. A few years a go I had a call about two
birds found together on a patio at this time of year. They were fox
sparrows, both in near perfect condition. Especially when birds can see
light coming though from other windows they think that they can fly
through. And your decals won't help with that. Sad to lose birds this
way. Good that you keep your cats indoors. Gerry

On 3/19/17 12:02 AM, Upstate NY Birding digest wrote:
> CAYUGABIRDS-L Digest for Sunday, March 19, 2017.
>
> 1. Woodcocks, Cardinals

> Subject: Woodcocks, Cardinals
> From: Mary Jane Thomas <mjbt40...>
> Date: Sat, 18 Mar 2017 16:29:55 -0400
>
> An interesting article about Woodcocks from today’s NY Times.
>
> https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/17/nyregion/an-early-bird-gets-caught-in-the-snowstorm.html?emc=edit_th_20170318&nl=todaysheadlines&nlid=28196654
>
> On another topic. The other day I found a dead male Cardinal on our side patio. There was no sign of trauma. However, it reminded me of the awful day last spring when I found 4-5 dead Cardinals lined up on the same patio. Again, no sign of trauma. There are windows they could have struck; I have decals on them to help with prevention (I’m aware the decals are not a complete solution). But they were lined up so neatly I couldn’t believe it was accidental. Had they been killed by a hawk, I would not have expected the bodies to be there. We have indoor cats but they never go out. There are other cats around but not that close to the house; even if they were close our cats would let us know I’m sure.
>
> I have some photos of the immediate area of the house if it would help. I would really be interested in any ideas, advice, etc. anyone has.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Mary Jane Thomas
>

> ---
>
> END OF DIGEST