Date: 3/18/17 6:51 pm
From: Lars Per Norgren <larspernorgren...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Purple Finch
*

I live in the woods a bit out of the Tualatin Valley, and Purple Finches appear here
singing around March 20. I find it interesting that they are detected over a broad
swath of western Oregon within maybe 48 hours this time of year. Rufous Hummingbirds
and swallows show up at my house a good month later than other folks' reports in lower
elevations or latitudes.
I have seen a dozen or so Purple Finches in December where there are rose-hips or
hawthornes, East Coyote GMA at Fern Ridge for example. I suspect these birds nest in BC.
Lars
On Mar 18, 2017, at 2:27 PM, Jeff Gilligan wrote:

> Purple Finch has been the topic of discussion a number of times on OBOL in recent years. Some, such as I, believe that most of our Purple Finches (at least in NW Oregon - both in the Willamette Valley and along the coast) migrate somewhere for the winter. That a few stay in small flocks here and there does not account for the large number that breed in the subject areas. March is when they start showing up in places where they havenít wintered, and they soon start singing, often the slow song that approximates that of Cassinís Finch.
>
> Jeff Gilligan
> (staying out of the mid-90 degree Arizona heat)
>

>> On Mar 18, 2017, at 1:41 PM, Brandon Green <brandon.green18...> wrote:
>>
>> I had four in my cherry tree this morning.
>>
>> Brandon
>> Eugene
>>
>> Sent from my iPhone
>> POST: Send your post to <obol...>