Date: 3/18/17 1:30 pm
From: Mary Jane Thomas <mjbt40...>
Subject: [cayugabirds-l] Woodcocks, Cardinals
An interesting article about Woodcocks from today’s NY Times.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/17/nyregion/an-early-bird-gets-caught-in-the-snowstorm.html?emc=edit_th_20170318&nl=todaysheadlines&nlid=28196654

On another topic. The other day I found a dead male Cardinal on our side patio. There was no sign of trauma. However, it reminded me of the awful day last spring when I found 4-5 dead Cardinals lined up on the same patio. Again, no sign of trauma. There are windows they could have struck; I have decals on them to help with prevention (I’m aware the decals are not a complete solution). But they were lined up so neatly I couldn’t believe it was accidental. Had they been killed by a hawk, I would not have expected the bodies to be there. We have indoor cats but they never go out. There are other cats around but not that close to the house; even if they were close our cats would let us know I’m sure.

I have some photos of the immediate area of the house if it would help. I would really be interested in any ideas, advice, etc. anyone has.

Thanks.

Mary Jane Thomas

ARCHIVES:

http://ebird.org/content/ebird/