Date: 3/17/17 2:53 pm
From: Greg Neise <gregneise...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: Re: IBET Bird id help
Also: It’s a funny thing, but our brains can fill in colors that we think we should be seeing. So, a flying bird that first impression gives you “flycatcher”, and you see yellow … then your brain goes to the kingbirds … can make colors more pronounced than that really are. Or even “create” color where it doesn’t exist. Check this out:

https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/article/this-picture-has-no-red-pixelsso-why-do-the-strawberries-still-look-red <https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/article/this-picture-has-no-red-pixelsso-why-do-the-strawberries-still-look-red>

There are no red pixels in the strawberries, but our brains “know” that strawberries are red, and fill in the blanks.

Cheers,

-greg neise
Berwyn, IL

Web Developer - Author - Editor, Big Day & List Report
American Birding Association

> On Mar 17, 2017, at 1:57 PM, Daniel & Barbara Williams <twotringas...> wrote:
>
> To supplement Greg's comments, check eBird for Great Crested Flycatcher in the current year. No post north of Austin, TX yet, and that was on March 14. A lot of reports from south FL, so the species might just be arriving via Cuba from the Yucatan.
>
> Bohlen has earliest arrival dates as April 10 and 12, with average arrival date in central IL (Urbana) as May 1 and Chicago May 4.
>
> If you can find a copy, Bohlen is an excellent reference for IL bird dates.
>
> Dan Williams
> Rockford
>
> On Fri, Mar 17, 2017 at 12:12 PM, <gregneise...> <mailto:<gregneise...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...> <mailto:<ILbirds-noreply...>> wrote:
> hmmm .... Great Crested Flycatcher anywhere in Illinois in March is essentially unheard of. My guess is Eastern Phoebe, which can be quite yellow underneath (and that would be amplified, if there was snow on the ground).
>

> EAPH can make all kinds of strange calls (I heard one in TX just a few months ago that had some very experienced birders certain we were hearing a Myiarchus sp.) -- like the beginning of this recording:
>
> http://www.xeno-canto.org/354815/download <http://www.xeno-canto.org/354815/download>
>
> Cheers,
>
> -greg neise
> Berwyn, IL
>
> Web Developer - Author - Editor, Big Day & List Report
> American Birding Association

Join us on Facebook!