Date: 3/17/17 10:48 am
From: Mark Stevenson <drbrdr...>
Subject: Re: [AZNMbirds] se AZ: Tucson - Sweetwater Wetlands Cassin's Sparrow
Hi Birders,

The Cassin's Sparrow continued this morning in the same area.
Thanks Andrew!
Lucy's and Yellow Warblers and Bell's Vireos were singing
at Sweetwater this morning.

Good birding,
Mark Stevenson
Tucson, AZ

To: "<aznmbirds...>" <aznmbirds...>
Date: Thursday, March 16, 2017, 12:25 PM

Hello birders,
I found a Cassin's Sparrow singing quietly
along the river at Sweetwater Wetlands this morning (3/16).
I was actually hoping for a Black-throated Sparrow or a
Scott's Oriole, but I'll take it!
If you want to look for it, I first saw it from
the multi-use path in the riverbed even with the 3rd
recharge basin (from the east). There aren't many
landmarks here, but it was perched up in a desert broom
between two mesquites. This is about 100 yards past where
they've repaired the iron railing with a couple steel
bars welded for support, and about 200 yards past the ramp
down to the river in the southeast corner.
I got a 6 or 7 minute recording of it calling and
singing; at one point it was only 15 feet away and singing,
but very quietly, so we'll see how it turns out. Got
some pix as well.
There are a two other reports nearby in eBird
from August and April but in general this is a very rare
bird along the Santa Cruz River in Tucson.
Pix & sounds in eBird later... this is #306
for Sweetwater according to my tally (https://sites.google.com/site/sweetwaterwetlands/checklist).
Other than that, only notable bird to report was
a continuing Snow Goose with the wigeon flock on the
Silverbell Golf Course across the river. I think this is
probably a different bird than the two at Columbus
Park.
Andrew

--
Andrew Core