Date: 3/17/17 10:15 am
From: Scott Weidensaul <scottweidensaul...>
Subject: Re: Allegheny County - Chickadees
I want to echo Alan's comments that this has been a fascinating thread, especially providing me with a western Pennsylvania perspective on a process I've been watching unfold here in the eastern counties for decades.

One note of caution about making judgements regarding population structure based on songs at this time of year. At least here in Schuylkill County, we had a moderate incursion of presumably more northern, irruptive black-capped chickadees this winter (the size difference compared with the hybrid/mostly Carolinas at the feeder is noticeable) and those birds are now singing. So I'd be careful about drawing conclusions about the local gene pool for at least another month or two based on songs, because lingering migrants may be biasing the sample.

Scott Weidensaul
Schuylkill Haven, PA

On Mar 17, 2017, at 12:45 PM, Alan Buriak wrote:

> Everyone,
>

> I wanted to jump back in on this conversation with some observations that I just made this morning from my yard. First however, I wanted to thank everyone that has contributed to this thread and wanted to give my opinion on some of the points that have been brought up. I am certainly humbled by the level of experience and skill that is being added to this discussion.
>

> First of all, I think the point that Scott Weidensaul brought up about Carolina gene introgression is important. This is something that we all should keep in mind, that indeed most of the birds that we are observing within any near proximity to the hybridization zone, even birds we feel comfortable with calling "pure", are likely some degree of hybrid. However I believe this level of thinking also applies to birding in general. We should all be mindful that dealing in absolutes with bird identification would indeed be fooling ourselves. Literally any bird that we ID could potentially have some degree of hybrid ancestry, that, absent DNA tests, would be impossible to discern. If I understand correctly, even in the face of DNA data, the division between some very closely related species can become arbitrary, going back to the very base arguments of what constitutes a distinct species anyways. However despite this problem, as Paul Hess and Barry Blust have stated, there is still much utility to observing and documenting observations of phenotype within and near the hybridization zone since these observations are the lion's share of the data that we have on this topic. I feel that this data, even with all of its shortcomings, can still be used effectively to approximate the movement of the hybridization zone, even if the "true" hybridization zone (based on gene introgression) is actually pushing many miles north of the observable changes in phenotype.

> [...]

Join us on Facebook!