Date: 3/16/17 11:56 am
From: Geo Kloppel <geokloppel...>
Subject: Re: [cayugabirds-l] OT- Finger Lakes NF sensitive species help
Yep, but the BBA's granularity is very coarse. It will tell you if Cooper's Hawks were recorded breeding somewhere in a given block 5 kilometers square, but it won't tell you if the selective cut you're planning at GPS coordinates ___ goes through the heart of a traditional Cooper's Hawk nesting territory. For that you need more precise location info.

-Geo

> On Mar 16, 2017, at 1:34 PM, Joshua Snodgrass <cedarshiva...> wrote:
>
> I was able to use the DEC website for the Breeding Bird Atlas- Maps by Species to look at color coded maps that show breeding occurrence at specific locations to come up with my list for the Finger Lakes NF. It may not be as current as eBird data, and I am not sure how land management entities use that information, but it is accessible http://www.dec.ny.gov/cfmx/extapps/bba/
>
>> On Thu, Mar 16, 2017 at 12:51 PM, Wesley M. Hochachka <wmh6...> wrote:
>> Hi Geo,
>>
>> No, breeding-code information is a standard part of the most widely-used pre-packaged distribution of eBird data, the eBird Basic Dataset (EBD). You can't call up this information on the eBird website, if I'm not mistaken, but then I wouldn't recommend using website output to do anything major in regard to research or management anyway. Instead, the most appropriate thing to do would be to request access (always granted, for free) to the pre-bundled data in the EBD. The EBD packages are rather large (i.e. you're not going to load it into Excel), but with some fairly basic large-data-management experience, one can pull out all of the breeding code information that's available without much effort.
>>
>> Wesley

ARCHIVES:

http://ebird.org/content/ebird/