Date: 3/16/17 9:51 am
From: Janine Perlman <jpandjf...>
Subject: Re: Birds and Spiders - Spiders eat astronomical numbers of Insects - A Note
That's terrific information, Jerry. Birds specifically choose spiders
because their nestlings require them. Insects are deficient in taurine,
which is required by nestlings for normal neurodevelopment.
Spiders, on the other hand, are rich in taurine, and are thus necessary
for successful propagation of our native avian species.

Janine

On 3/16/2017 11:19 AM, Jerry Davis
wrote:
> This article brings up a point that I have not made in a while which
> deals with birds, native plants and native insects. A good indicator
> for the habitat health of your yard is whether it supports spiders. If
> there are not enough insects to support spiders or you have bathed
> your yard in pesticides to eliminate such, it is probably of little
> value to birds. If you do not see evidence of spiders by webs,
> burrows, and on your plants you do not have a healthy system to
> support birds. Those that observe their nest boxes will see birds
> feeding spiders to their young. Those with acrophobia need to get
> control of it and let insects and spiders thrive for the birds.
> Jerry W. Davis
> Hot Springs, AR
>
> *Study: Spiders eat astronomical numbers of bugs *
>
> USA TODAY
>
> Spiders eat about 440 million to 880 million tons of insects and other
> pests each year, according to a new study. That’s equal to the weight
> of more than 85 million elephants.
>
> That’s a lot of bugs.
>
> Put another way, all humans together consume an estimated 440 million
> tons of meat and fish annually. Whales feed on 300 million to 550
> million tons of seafood, while the world’s total seabird population
> eats an estimated 77million tons of fish and other seafood.
>
> The study, published in the
>
> European journal The Science of Nature, is the first to make such a
> global estimate of spiders’ eating habits.
>
> Most spiders, of which there are about 45,000 species, are found in
> forests, grasslands and shrub lands, followed by croplands, deserts,
> urban areas and tundra areas.
>
> The ravenous appetite of spiders keeps countless insect pests,
> especially in forests and grassland, in check. The spiders serve to
> protect plants and trees by eating the bugs that would feed on them,
> according to study lead author Martin Nyffeler of the University of
> Basel in Switzerland.

Join us on Facebook!