Date: 3/14/17 1:49 pm
From: Jane Hadley <hadleyj1725...>
Subject: Re: [Tweeters] Hawk Identification
Rosemary Hitchens asked for opinions on whether the hawk she'd seen at
Marymoor Park on Sunday was a Cooper's Hawk or a Sharp-shinned Hawk.

When I looked at her photos, my guess was Sharp-shinned based on size
and the squared-off tail. However, I had very little confidence in my
guess, particularly because size is hard to guess when there is no
comparison available to provide relative size. My husband, Randy
Robinson, guessed Cooper's, citing no supercilium, puffy white undertail
coverts, and length of tail. But he also thought it was hard to tell.

I ran these photos (using a cropped screenshot) through Cornell's Merlin
Photo ID (a smartphone app), and it identified both as Cooper's Hawk.

Also, here's an Audubon article about distinguishing between Cooper's
and Sharp-shinned:

http://www.audubon.org/news/a-beginners-guide-iding-coopers-and-sharp-shinned-hawks

Rosemary's pictures are at:
Picture 1: https://flic.kr/p/RDtHmy