Date: 3/14/17 12:32 pm
From: <kmlathroum...>
Subject: Re: Re: [MDBirding] Re: Painted Bunting in Harford
I am utterly amazed at how "full contact" birding can be these days and the self appointed "Bird Police" who can decide who the few select people are that are given the heads up when something rare and unique shows up. The whole it's my bird and you can't see it or know about attitude is so childish in my personal opinion.

I have not seen this bunting but was aware of it at least a week before the pictures were posted to Facebook. I for one appreciate the fact that the photographs were posted of this stunningly colored little bird, which I have only ever seen twice before.

This is so reminiscent of a few years ago when I posted a picture of a long eared owl with the location listed as a 1,000 acre piece of public park property and I was told that I gave out too much information, Really?

I think it's time we all grow up and act like mature adults. After all in the big scheme of things and at the end of the day it is a bird and everyone should have the same chance to see it.

They were great pictures Hugh, thanks for posting.

Mike

On 03/14/17, Hugh David Fleischmann wrote:

To my birding friends. I am being forced to respond to this nonsense. I am going to make one and only one response. As i am the no named birder Josh speaks of, let me set the record straight. There was no issue with people seeing this bird, or posting pictures to Facebook. The homeowners want more people to enjoy this bird, before it leaves. They dont want it on secret lock down. They enjoy the people and the excitement surrounding having a rarity at their house. This is an exact quote from the homeowner:

"yea, please tell as many people as you like, we aren't worried about the number of birders, as long as they know the whole parking deal, lol."

I am only sorry that one person (no names here) had the control over who had the pleasure of seeing this bird since January 27th. They only care that people park correctly so as to not disturb the neighbors property. I hope all get to enjoy. The homeowners are incredibly generous people. Anyone that goes should consider taking a token of bird seed or suet, to show your appreciation. I'm done and thanks for listening to my response. I won't have my good name besmerched by alternate facts!

Contact Josh for access info or you are welcome to contact me. Have a great spring 😎 day.

Awesome Birding in 2017!

Hugh David Fleischmann
410-598-9292
<david...>

On Mar 14, 2017 12:52 PM, 'Andrew Clemens' via Maryland & DC Birding <mdbirding...> wrote:

There are also photographers who did NOT post this to facebook after they photographed it. PLEASE do NOT make this photographers vs birders. Some of us love both and CAN keep locations quiet!

Andy

On Tuesday, March 14, 2017 9:59 AM, Warblerick <ricksussman1955...> wrote:

On Monday, March 13, 2017 at 10:09:48 PM UTC-4, Josh Emm wrote:
> All,
> There's currently an adult male Painted Bunting coming to a feeder in Aberdeen, MD. The presence of this bird was originally slow release because of the super limited parking situation and the homeowner's uncertainty as to how many people would come see it. But because a certain (no names here) "birder" (term used lightly) decided to take it upon them self to put it all over Facebook, I figure now is as good a time as any to open it up to the whole list serv. If you're interested, please shoot me an email apistopanchax AT gmail.com
> Good birding
> Josh Emm
> HdG, MD
>
> Sent from my iPhone

There does seem to be an ever increasing clique of bird-photographers in Maryland. Each trying to out-do the next, and not very good at keeping a bird location to themselves. Once one has posted a picture to FB, then they all start posting.

Rick Sussman
Woodbine, MD