Date: 3/13/17 6:55 pm
From: Zachary Millen <zjmillen...>
Subject: Re: Middle Creek WMA Green-winged Teal
I'm quite sure that there are two birds. I like Ted's photo as an
intergrade as the wing stripe is fairly strong, more so than on an
American. I have been able to see the Common (Eurasian) Teal from both
sides and it has no hint of a side spur and the wing stripe is quite
prominent. Other features of this bird I've noted are the more defined thin
facial stripes and a blue/purple cast to the iridescent eye-stripe vs
blue/green of nearby American. Keep in mind that on a Eurasian the scaps or
gray flank feathers can partially obscure the white wing stripe, making it
appear reduced at a distance.

Zach Millen
Akron

On Mon, Mar 13, 2017 at 9:27 PM, Ted Nichols II <tanicholsii...>
wrote:

> Mike,
>
> Interesting you point this out, as I was just at Middle Creek and noticed
> the same thing. (I actually have been questioning things from the
> beginning, but now believe there may be two birds around?)
>
> I just posted the following to the ID that PA Bird! Facebook group (
> https://www.facebook.com/groups/pabirdID/)
> along with a picture for all to see:
>
> "This pond at Middle Creek WMA is the one where a Eurasian Green-winged
> Teal continues to be reported including multiple times today... I thought
> some things looked off when the bird was first reported over a month ago as
> a pure Eurasian Teal and I saw it because I didn't think the horizontal
> stripe was quite bold enough, but I went back the next day and I was more
> convinced it was a pure Eurasian... Well, today I photographed what again
> looks to be an Intergrade Green-winged Teal? What are your thoughts? Could
> the bird have been an intergrade to begin with and is molting to show the
> features more prominently? This is the only bird I saw on this pond today
> with a horizontal stripe, but it clearly shows a vertical stripe as well...
> There's always the 2 bird theory as well..."
>
> Regards,
> Ted Nichols II
> Annville, Pa. (Lebanon County)
>
> On Mon, Mar 13, 2017 at 20:00 Michael Fialkovich <mpfial...>
> wrote:
>
> > I found the teal but what I saw was a bird that showed both the
> horizontal
> > white line just under the wings AND the vertical white lines on either
> side
> > of the breast, so what I saw was a hybrid between the two. The vertical
> > white lines on this bird were less bold, shorter and narrower than those
> on
> > the American Green-winged Teal but were noticeable through a scope. I
> saw
> > the bird both in and out of the water (it was preening on shore at one
> > point).
> >
> > Mike Fialkovich
> > Pittsburgh Area, Allegheny County

Join us on Facebook!