Date: 3/13/17 6:50 pm
From: DJ Lauten and KACastelein <deweysage...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Rufous x Allen's hybrids
I agree 100% and I have been saying so for years. We live on the
supposedly line between Allen's and Rufous, just north of Bandon and the
Coquille river. Both types of males display in our yard.

Cheers

Dave Lauten

On 3/13/2017 5:49 PM, Mike Patterson wrote:
> It's been a while since I checked the literature, but the occurrence
> of RufousxAllen's hybrids has to my knowledge, never been clearly
> demonstrated. This is not to say that hybrids have not been reported.
> They have, but given the difficulty of sorting clear hybrid traits
> from the statistical noise of variability in these two very closely
> related sister taxa, I suspect only genetic evidence would be
> definitive. It's possible this work has been done, but I haven't
> seen the paperwork.
>
> Rufous Hummingbird males show green backs, sometimes VERY green backs,
> so having a green back does not a hybrid make. I'm not even convinced
> that intermediate flight displays would get you there.
>
> And just for the record, there is a small group of taxonomists who
> believe they should be lumped, anyway.

POST: Send your post to <obol...>
Contact moderator: <obol-moderators...>

Join us on Facebook!