Date: 3/12/17 5:41 pm
From: Hawkcount.Org Reports <reports...>
Subject: Bucktoe Creek Preserve (12 Mar 2017) 5 Raptors

Unknown Raptor 0 0 0

Total: 5 78 78

Observation start time: 08:00:00
Observation end time: 14:00:00
Total observation time: 6 hours

Official Counter: Larry Lewis

Observers: Kathleen Pileggi

Visitors:
Visitos (5): Kathleen Pileggi, Michelle Scheive, Christian Scheive, Henry
Scheive.
<BR><BR>
Thanks everyone, for coming to beautiful Bucktoe Creek Preserve Hawk
Watch!
<BR><BR>

Weather:
Mostly Cloudy (25-100% cloud cover), Temps 25-33F, Winds WNW 10-20mph

Raptor Observations:
----“Raptors” seen, but deemed not to be migrating: 2-Red-shouldered Hawk,
5-Red-tailed Hawk, and numerous Black (20) and Turkey Vultures (25).
<BR><BR>

Non-raptor Observations:
<BR><BR>
TODAY’S ‘BBB:’ Made certain our feeder area was in top form in preparation
for this upcoming storm. The White-crowns were thankful. I roamed around
the perimeter of our meadow again today. Somewhat surprisingly, it yielded
2 singing Winter Wrens. Yesterday, my walk around produced a “crowd” of
people coming to our site. Today – no more people, as a result. Well, it
was a thought…. At 2:14pm, one of our Barred Owls called twice - must have
had something to “say” that just couldn’t keep. I know the feeling. Few
hawks were on the move today.
<BR><BR>
----My thanks to Kathleen Pileggi for posting these sightings to ebird and
for helping with this submission to “Hawk Count.” Thanks also, to Delaware
Nature Society, and especially, to the Brokaws, for their incredible
support and gracious generosity in opening their property to the public for
this watch, and oh, so very much more!
<BR><BR>
----ADDITIONAL BIRD HIGHLIGHTS: 1-Barred Owl, 1-Horned Lark, 2-Winter Wren,
1-Eastern Towhee, 8-White-crowned Sparrow.
<BR><BR>
----OTHER WILDLIFE NOTED: Butterflies (0); Dragonflies (0); Reptiles &
Amphibians (0); Mammals (0).
<BR><BR>
for today (join me, if you wish): Miles: 4.98; Steps: 11,677; Floors:
36.
<BR><BR>
----“SEASON’S BIRD SPECIES LIST” – we at Bucktoe are not just a hawk watch,
(very rough, best “guestimate,” – raptors must remain our primary focus)
for totals of each species seen for “The Watch” year.
<BR><BR>
TOTAL SPECIES – Identified from watch site: today: 38; this season: 56
<BR><BR>
NEW SPECIES ADDED TODAY TO THIS YEAR’S “WATCH SPECIES LIST (2):” Winter
Wren, Barred Owl.
<BR><BR>

Predictions:
Tomorrow’s the winds die down....YEY!! I think this day - literally the
calm before the storm - should be pretty good.
<BR><BR>
Come join us, folks! We’re here every day, 9am thru 3pm (at least). Rain
or shine….
The Hawk Watch at Bucktoe Creek Preserve is sponsored by Delaware Nature
Society (DNS) and the Brokaw family. Please contact us at

Site Description:
High open meadow facing north near Red Clay Creek

Directions to site:
From Kennett Square, PA (in southern Chester County):