Date: 3/12/17 5:36 pm
From: David Muth <MuthD...>
Subject: [LABIRD-L] Lower Plaquemines Today
Labird:

Dan Purrington, Mark Meunier and I decided to try to take advantage of the propitious timing of the front and head downriver hoping for a fall-out of some kind. The rain lingered much longer than we might have wished, but it eventually ended. The day was good, though early trans-gulf neotropical migrants were limited to at least 27 Swallow-tailed Kites, one Solitary Sandpiper, one adult male Ruby-throated Hummingbird, and three N. Parulas. Other birds, including a male Black-and-White Warbler in Ft. Jackson Woods and two adult Yellow-crowned Night-Herons on Haliburton Road might have been migrants, but individuals meeting that description wintered in each place.

The highlights of the day were two adult male Shiny Cowbirds together at the road curve among the chickens and doves, and outboard motor cowls serving as planters, at the beginning of Tidewater Rd., at the 90 degree curve right after crossing the levee at the end of Hwy. 23 ("The Jump"). One SHCO had been seen previously, but today there were two, along with an estimated 65 Bronzed Cowbirds and one Yellow-headed Blackbird.

However, kites provided the spectacle of the day. When we arrived at Ft. Jackson in the morning, we watched about 4 heading downriver (east) over the Fort Woods. A half hour later we picked up 3 heading north across the river to the 'East' Bank, which three joined at least four others on the far bank.

In the afternoon, upon entering the Fort Woods, we watched at least four overhead. Later, we began noticing kites over the Myiarchus Woods across Hwy 23 from the Fort and Fort Woods. It was impossible to keep count. About 3:40 we noticed kites beginning to land in a baldcypress across the highway from the Fort Woods. Eventually 25 landed, and there were still at least 2 aloft and in view-so a minimum of 27.

David Muth
New Orleans

Join us on Facebook!