Date: 3/11/17 8:05 pm
From: Jon Woolf <jsw...>
Subject: Re: [NHBirds] Re: Great Gray Owl
While I agree that we should try to avoid flushing a bird
unnecessarily, I also have to agree with David Lipsy that this
particular owl seems quite un-stressed by all the activity around
it. I went up to Newport to see the owl last Sunday, found it
without any trouble, and (along with about 60-70 other people)
watched it for about half an hour before it left its perch and flew
into the woods, presumably to hunt for dinner. I've seen stressed
and nervous birds before, as I'm sure we all have. This Great Grey
Owl is not behaving that way. The owl's behavior while perched
reminded me a great deal of the Bald Eagle that the Finch Trip found
a couple of weeks ago. Said eagle was perched forty feet up in a
tree, had excellent visibility all around, and was very clearly
watching us as much as we were watching it. Yet it didn't appear
stressed. When it flew, it didn't act scared; rather, it did so as
if it had simply decided it wanted to be somewhere
else. Anthropomorphizing recklessly, I'd say that if I saw a human
behaving the way this owl and that eagle were behaving, I'd call it
"curious", with a healthy dose of "confused" at the inexplicable
behavior of all these oddly colored two-legged creatures around it.

ANY bird will flush if approached too closely... but IMHO we should
all keep in mind that every bird is an individual, and not every bird
will be stressed simply from having watchers around, as long as we
remember to keep a respectful distance.

-- Jon Woolf
Manchester, NH