Date: 3/11/17 4:18 pm
From: Dyl Pedro via CTBirds <ctbirds...>
Subject: [CT Birds] Voluntown/Griswold Ducks, Waterford Iceland Gull
Today I drove a big loop around SE CT, stopping at random ponds and spots that looked like they might have ducks. Most ponds still remained unfrozen despite last night's (and today's!) frigid temps.
On Beach Pond in Voluntown:
3 Common Goldeneyes, ~12 Common Mergansers, 2 Wood Ducks, 4 Hooded Mergansers, 2 Bufflehead

On Glasgo Pond in Griswold as viewed on either side of Rt 165:
8 Northern Pintail, 12 Green-winged Teal, ~14+ Ring-necked Ducks, 4 American Black Ducks

I then checked out Clayville Pond (Griswold) to see if I could find the recently reported Lesser Scaup, and with success:
~60 Ring-necked Ducks, ~85 Canada Geese, 1 Lesser Scaup drake. Also an immature Bald Eagle flying around and a few Eastern Bluebirds on the telephone wire.

Finally I checked Smith Cove in Waterford on my way home and found the wintering 2 cy Kumlien's Iceland Gull on the shore by the docks. The wintering Pied-billed Grebe was in the same area.
Photos on eBird soon.

Good birding,
Dylan Pedro
Waterford