Date: 3/11/17 11:13 am
From: Dan Gleason <dan-gleason...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Jay and Woodpecker behavior
Matt,

Acorn Woodpeckers are generally not aggressive toward other species except near their granary. Do your bitds have one nearby? They will defend against jays, crows, nuthatches and other birds at these sites when necessary, but usually show no aggression away from the site. Perhaps they have seen Steller's Jays directly at the newrby granary and react to them, but California Scrub-Jays have not yet been seen as a threat. Just a guess. If you find the granary it might be interesting to see if other species visit (even just as a resting place) and what the reaction of the woodpeckers is.

Dan Gleason
Owner, Wild Birds Unlimited of Eugene
Ornithology Instructor, University of Oregon
<dan-gleason...>

> On Mar 11, 2017, at 10:43 AM, Lars Per Norgren <larspernorgren...> wrote:
>
> *
>
> Acorn Woodpeckers used to spend a lot of time defending their granaries from Lewis' Woodpeckers
> when they were a regular winter species in western Oregon.
> Lars
>> On Mar 11, 2017, at 10:37 AM, Matthew G Hunter wrote:
>>
>> My son Daniel put up a platform seed feeder at our place a few months ago. ACORN WOODPECKERS, with their main granary about 60 ft away, are regulars. CALIFORNIA SCRUB-JAYS were slow to use the feeder, but do so regularly now, both in and below the feeder. The JAYS are tolerated by the WOODPECKERS (king of the feeder), in fact this morning there was one ACORN WOODPECKER and one SCRUB-JAY feeding on the ground inches from each other. Until this morning, we had not had STELLER'S JAYS at the feeder.
>>
>> Glancing out the window this morning I saw a STELLER'S JAY approach and maybe land or almost land on the feeder. However, immediately, one of the ACORN WOODPECKERS went after the STELLER'S JAY and drove it to the ground as the JAY attempted to flee. Immediately the STELLER'S JAY took off from the ground upward into a nearby tree where we saw there was a second STELLER'S JAY. They both sat there for a few minutes before moving on and we haven't seen them in the hour since.
>>
>> Up to this point we had not seen the ACORN WOODPECKER aggressively go after any other birds. They typically just fly up to the feeder and the other birds get out of the way. Why go after the STELLER'S JAY so aggressively (vs getting along with CA SCRUB-JAYS)? Maybe because it is/was a "new" threat? Or are STELLER'S particularly a threat to ACORN WOODPECKERS in some way? Any ideas? Anyone with ACORN WOODPECKERS have a similar or different experience?
>>
>> Curious,
>> Matt
>
> POST: Send your post to <obol...>

POST: Send your post to <obol...>