Date: 3/8/17 4:01 am
From: Hawkcount.Org Reports <reports...>
Subject: Bucktoe Creek Preserve (07 Mar 2017) 7 Raptors

Unknown Falcon 0 0 0
Unknown Eagle 0 0 0
Unknown Raptor 0 0 0

Total: 7 37 37

Observation start time: 09:00:00
Observation end time: 15:00:00
Total observation time: 6 hours

Official Counter: Larry Lewis

Observers: Beatty Broughton, Kathleen Pileggi

Visitors:
Visitors (3): Beaty Broughton, Kathleen Pileggi

Weather:
Cloudy with Showers (100% cloud cover), Temps 40-58F, Winds S 5-15 mph

Raptor Observations:
----“Raptors” seen, but deemed not to be migrating: 2-Bald Eagle,
1-Cooper's Hawk, 2-Red-shouldered Hawk, 7-Red-tailed Hawk, and numerous
Black (50) and Turkey Vultures (65).
<BR><BR>
----Bald Eagle ages: 1 yr.-0; 2 yr.-0; 3 yr.-0; 4 yr.-1; adult-3

Non-raptor Observations:
----ADDITIONAL BIRD HIGHLIGHTS: 1-Killdeer, 5-Ring-billed Gull, 2-COMMON
RAVEN, 2-Horned Lark, 1-Tree Swallow, 2-Eastern Towhee, 8-White-crowned
Sparrow.
<BR><BR>
----OTHER WILDLIFE NOTED: Butterflies (0); Dragonflies (0); Reptiles &
Amphibians (0); Mammals (1): Eastern Gray Squirrel.
<BR><BR>
----“BUCKTOE BIRD BLOG” - (Comments on the events & “feel” of the day –
read on, if you dare) We see birds, many of them hawks; encounter other
<BR><BR>
TODAY’S BLOG: This afternoon’s rain showers showed up early this morning.
Oh yay…just PERFECT! We’ll make the most of it though, right? Early on
and during a break in the rain, the alarm notes of a chickadee and the
dashing for cover of the White-crowned Sparrows, alerted me to the probable
presence of an accipiter. I glanced all around….nothing. But then, further
up soaring….there it was – a Sharpie. The ability of these birds to see
and identify this as an accipiter – a danger to them – will never cease to
amaze me. A Red-tailed Hawk doing the same thing would barely cause any
reaction…. Incredible! At 1:25pm a “croak” just off to our east, signaled
the return of a Raven….then, a second….both swinging around just at treetop
level in a arch bringing them between me and the parking lot here at
Bucktoe Creek Preserve. Wow, I knew there was some reason for being out
here in the rain today! The first Tree Swallow of our Watch flew by at
2pm. Beaty showed up, showing me a video of a female Baltimore Oriole
which has been at her feeders in Avondale for about a week now. Nice
find, Beaty! But Beaty has been seeking “our” Ravens. Today,
unfortunately she missed them by a mere 20 minutes. One of these days,
Beaty. One of these days….
<BR><BR>
----My thanks to Kathleen Pileggi for posting these sightings to ebird and
for helping with this submission to “Hawk Count.” Thanks also, to Delaware
Nature Society, and especially, to the Brokaws, for their incredible
support and gracious generosity in opening their property to the public for
this watch, and oh, so very much more!
<BR><BR>
for today (join me, if you wish): Miles: 3.6; Steps: 8,457; Floors: 25.
<BR><BR>
----“SEASON’S BIRD SPECIES LIST” – we at Bucktoe are not just a hawk watch,
but conduct a migration tally from the site. Below is the list of species
identified on this year’s “Watch,” from the watch area. We include it
feature an approximation (very rough, best “guestimate,” – raptors must
remain our primary focus) for totals of each species seen for “The Watch”
year. Here’s the species list, thus far, for this season – from the
watch:
<BR><BR>
Snow Goose---ROSS’S GOOSE---Canada Goose---Wood Duck---Mallard---Great Blue
Heron---Black Vulture---Turkey Vulture---Bald Eagle---Northern
Harrier---Sharp-shinned Hawk---Cooper’s Hawk---Red-shouldered
Hawk---Red-tailed Hawk---American Kestrel---Killdeer---Ring-billed
Gull---Mourning Dove---Belted Kingfisher---Red-bellied Woodpecker---Downy
Woodpecker---Hairy Woodpecker---Northern Flicker---Pileated
Woodpecker---Eastern Phoebe---Blue Jay---American Crow---Fish Crow---COMMON
RAVEN---Horned Lark---Tree Swallow---Carolina Chickadee---Tufted
Titmouse---White-breasted Nuthatch---Carolina Wren---Eastern
Bluebird---American Robin---Northern Mockingbird---European
Starling---Cedar Waxwing---Eastern Towhee---Field Sparrow---Savannah
Sparrow---Fox Sparrow---Song Sparrow---White-throated
Sparrow---White-crowned Sparrow---Dark-eyed Junco---Northern
Cardinal---Red-winged Blackbird---Common Grackle---Brown-headed
Cowbird---House Finch---American Goldfinch
<BR><BR>
TOTAL SPECIES – Identified from watch site: today: 43; this season: 54
<BR><BR>
NEW SPECIES ADDED TODAY TO THIS YEAR’S “WATCH SPECIES LIST (1):” Tree
Swallow.

Predictions:
Tomorrow’s another windy day...but what do we expect in March? Seasonable
temps though.
<BR><BR>
Come join us, folks! We’re here every day, 9am thru 3pm (at least). Rain
or shine….
will be removed.
The Hawk Watch at Bucktoe Creek Preserve is sponsored by Delaware Nature
Society (DNS) and the Brokaw family. Please contact us at

Site Description:
High open meadow facing north near Red Clay Creek

Directions to site:
From Kennett Square, PA (in southern Chester County):