Date: 3/7/17 3:33 am
From: Hawkcount.Org Reports <reports...>
Subject: Bucktoe Creek Preserve (06 Mar 2017) 10 Raptors

Observation start time: 08:30:00
Observation end time: 15:00:00
Total observation time: 6.5 hours

Official Counter: Larry Lewis

Observers: Kathleen Pileggi

Visitors:
Visitors (2): Kathleen Pileggi
<BR><BR>
Thanks everyone, for coming to beautiful Bucktoe Creek Preserve Hawk
Watch!

Weather:
Mostly Sunny (25-50% cloud cover), Temps 30-50F, Winds S at 5-15 mph

Raptor Observations:
----“Raptors” seen, but deemed not to be migrating: 3-Bald Eagle,
1-Northern Harrier, 1-Cooper's Hawk, 1-Red-shouldered Hawk, 5-Red-tailed
Hawk, and numerous Black (40) and Turkey Vultures (40).
<BR><BR>
----Bald Eagle ages: 1 yr.-2; 2 yr.-0; 3 yr.-0; 4 yr.-0; adult-3

Non-raptor Observations:
----ADDITIONAL BIRD HIGHLIGHTS: 10-Ring-billed Gull, 2-Eastern Towhee,
8-White-crowned Sparrow.
<BR><BR>
----OTHER WILDLIFE NOTED: Butterflies (0); Dragonflies (0); Reptiles &
Amphibians (0); Mammals (1): Red Fox.
<BR><BR>
----“BUCKTOE BIRD BLOG” - (Comments on the events & “feel” of the day –
read on, if you dare) We see birds, many of them hawks; encounter other
<BR><BR>
TODAY’S BLOG: High clouds today will help a lot. So will the comfort of
the day. Shortly after 9am, a flock of Killdeer swung by, briefly
alighting on the cut portion of our meadow. After a brief rest bit, their
journey continued. A Cooper’s Hawk soared into a tree near our parking lot
- likely one of our local birds. As the day warmed a bit, things picked up
a smidge. A couple of Harriers, one a local; and 5 Bald Eagles, three of
those seemed like local birds. The trend is good…if the weather
cooperates.
<BR><BR>
----My thanks to Kathleen Pileggi for posting these sightings to ebird and
for helping with this submission to “Hawk Count.” Thanks also, to Delaware
Nature Society, and especially, to the Brokaws, for their incredible
support and gracious generosity in opening their property to the public for
this watch, and oh, so very much more!
<BR><BR>
for today (join me, if you wish): Miles: 5.98; Steps: 14,025; Floors:
76.
<BR><BR>
----“SEASON’S BIRD SPECIES LIST” – we at Bucktoe are not just a hawk watch,
(very rough, best “guestimate,” – raptors must remain our primary focus)
for totals of each species seen for “The Watch” year.
<BR><BR>
TOTAL SPECIES – Identified from watch site: today: 39; this season: 53
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>

Predictions:
Tomorrow’s flight looks a bit "hairy," at least for the afternoon.
Intermittent showers are expected. Are we ever gonna get a nice day?
<BR><BR>
Come join us, folks! We’re here every day, 9am thru 3pm (at least). Rain
or shine….
will be removed.
The Hawk Watch at Bucktoe Creek Preserve is sponsored by Delaware Nature
Society (DNS) and the Brokaw family. Please contact us at

Site Description:
High open meadow facing north near Red Clay Creek

Directions to site:
From Kennett Square, PA (in southern Chester County):