Date: 3/6/17 7:40 am
From: Karen And Jim Rowe <00000131a1cf8fbc-dmarc-request...>
Subject: Re: Does anyone know how to deal with this?
A better approach would be similar to the one used to prohibit the use of lead for waterfowl hunting.

The USFWS needs to work with its state, federal and NGO partners and get their assistance and support,ask the Association of Fish and Wildlife Agencies to draft proposed regulations while the USFWS gathers current data and studies and identifies any questions and research needs that need to be answered before a law is enacted. All involvedboth hunters and no hunters educate themselves on all aspects of the issue, and ammunition and fishing tackle companies need to provide data on nontoxic alternatives and prepare to increase production. All this will be published in the Federal Register, comments will be gathered on several alternative (preferred alternative will be identified) and based on comments a final notice will be published and the proposal becomes law.

As with the lead ban for waterfowl hunting, there must be a large educational campaign, especially to groups that view this as an attack on the second amendment. Education on everything from the presence of lead in deer burger, how lead bullets fragment and where these fragments travel in a deer or game animal, how much lead does an eagle have to ingest for it to be lethal, the numbers of species and numbers of each species that die annually from lead poisoning, and the quality of performance of nontoxic bullets and fishing tackle as compared to lead alternatives.

The Act signed by now ex-Director Ashe was a huge surprise to states and the Association of Fish and Wildlife Agencies that, with the exception of this vetoed lead Act, always work closely with the USFWS on regulation development. Ashe's Act was a huge surprise to most USFWS personnel as well.

A nontoxic fishing tackle and ammunition regulation cannot be enacted without support if hunters and fishermen, and their support cannot be gained without a massive education campaign.

Do you know how big of a piece of lead can be toxic to eagles? Do you know what bird species are susceptible to lead poisoning? Do you know if hog control by USDA-APHIS-wildlife services and AGFC used lead or nontoxic ammo? Are nontoxic .22 caliber ammo is available in non -toxic form?

All of this information is available on the internet thanks to our pal Google. If each one of us becomes educated on the topic, we can talk to hunters, landowners, sporting good stores about the issue. Education and then communication is how we can begin a change.

Sent from my iPhone

> On Mar 5, 2017, at 3:36 PM, Jeffrey Short <bashman...> wrote:
>
> When I was working with Dr. Frank Bellrose (Ducks, Geese, and Swans of North Amerca) in the late ‘70s, I thought the changeover from lead shot was imminent. He had provided much data and support for the replacement.
>
> Since hunting regulations are set by the state, couldn’t AGFC ban the use of lead shot/bullets/sinkers if they wanted to? Wouldn’t the main sellers (e.g., Walmart) support that decision?
>
> Jeff Short

Join us on Facebook!