Date: 3/6/17 3:50 am
From: Hawkcount.Org Reports <reports...>
Subject: Bucktoe Creek Preserve (05 Mar 2017) 3 Raptors

Unknown Falcon 0 0 0
Unknown Eagle 0 0 0
Unknown Raptor 0 0 0

Total: 3 20 20

Observation start time: 09:00:00
Observation end time: 15:00:00
Total observation time: 6 hours

Official Counter: Larry Lewis

Observers: Gerry Teig, Kathleen Pileggi, Sue McLaughlin

Visitors:
Visitors (9): Gerry Teig, Kathleen Pileggi, Sue McLaughlin, Ken Reynolds,
Michelle Scheive, Pete Scheive, Christian Scheive, Henry Scheive
<BR><BR>
Thanks everyone, for coming to beautiful Bucktoe Creek Preserve Hawk Watch!

Weather:
Sunny, Temnps 20-38F, Winds from the NNW 5 - 10 mph

Raptor Observations:
----“Raptors” seen, but deemed not to be migrating: 1-Cooper's Hawk,
2-Red-shouldered Hawk, 5-Red-tailed Hawk, and numerous Black (30) and
Turkey Vultures (50).

Non-raptor Observations:
----ADDITIONAL BIRD HIGHLIGHTS: 1-Great Blue Heron, 60-Ring-billed Gull,
1-Eastern Towhee, 8-White-crowned Sparrow.
<BR><BR>
Butterflies (0); Dragonflies (0); Reptiles & Amphibians (0); Mammals (1):
Red Fox.
<BR><BR>
----“BUCKTOE BIRD BLOG” - (Comments on the events & “feel” of the day –
read on, if you dare) We see birds, many of them hawks; encounter other
<BR><BR>
TODAY’S BLOG: This was a quiet day. But quiet can be good, right? Got to
do a lot of thinking. Had a young family come and enjoy the nature and the
birds that were around. They will be back – they really love it. Imagine
how they’ll love it when the migration and weather improve. They did enjoy
a Red-tail, a Red Fox (was seen twice), and a visit to our carrion feeder –
the boys loved that! The ground, littered with bones from road-killed
deer, placed me right in the middle of a Stephen King novel. The boys
were immune from that! A couple of Red-tails moved through and a Sharpie.
New for the watch was a Great Blue Heron. Better weather on tap for next
week…but how could it not be?
<BR><BR>
----My thanks to Kathleen Pileggi for posting these sightings to ebird and
for helping with this submission to “Hawk Count.” Thanks also, to Delaware
Nature Society, and especially, to the Brokaws, for their incredible
support and gracious generosity in opening their property to the public for
this watch, and oh, so very much more!
<BR><BR>
for today (join me, if you wish): Miles: 4.28; Steps: 10,040; Floors:
33.
<BR><BR>
----“SEASON’S BIRD SPECIES LIST” – we at Bucktoe are not just a hawk watch,
(very rough, best “guestimate,” – raptors must remain our primary focus)
for totals of each species seen for “The Watch” year.
<BR><BR>
TOTAL SPECIES – Identified from watch site: today: 34; this season: 53
<BR><BR>
NEW SPECIES ADDED TODAY TO THIS YEAR’S “WATCH SPECIES LIST (1):” Great Blue
Heron.
<BR><BR>

Predictions:
Yah! At least a bit warmer weather is on the way beginning tomorrow! Boy,
I could sure use it. The raptors should be picking up some....we'll see.
<BR><BR>
Come join us, folks! We’re here every day, 9am thru 3pm (at least). Rain
or shine….
will be removed.
The Hawk Watch at Bucktoe Creek Preserve is sponsored by Delaware Nature
Society (DNS) and the Brokaw family. Please contact us at

Site Description:
High open meadow facing north near Red Clay Creek

Directions to site:
From Kennett Square, PA (in southern Chester County):