Date: 3/5/17 1:32 pm
From: Rex Takasugi <RexTak...>
Subject: [Tweeters] Good time to view the Great Blue Herons on Soos Creek Trail
Hi, Tweeters!

This is a good time to view the Great Blue Herons on Soos Creek Trail in Kent (actually kind of between Kent and Covington). The herons are flying back and forth building their nests, and the lack of tree foliage makes it easy to see the nests and herons. The parking area nearest the rookery is off 148th Ave SE (47.378524, -122.143892 or 4722'42.7"N 12208'38.0"W) where there are the maintenance barns for the Kent Parks Department. From the graveled parking area walk the paved trail across Soos Creek to the main trail and turn right (south) and walk the trail for about 200 yards and you'll easily see the rookery to the right (looking west). You can also see the herons from 148th Ave. SE, but I don't recommend doing that as there isn't much of a shoulder along the narrow road.

In a couple of big cedars just south of the main trail junction, we also got some good views of a couple of Townsend's Warblers, which we don't see often on Soos Creek Trail. They were mixed in with a bunch of Black-capped Chickadees and Golden-crowned Kinglets.

Good birding!

Rex Takasugi
Kent, WA